Tuesday, March 26, 2013

History: The Study of...Now?

      When I chose my term paper topic (which is fear as a weapon in World War I, especially focused on chemical warfare), I wanted to look at it from an angle that could still be relevant and appreciated today. I wanted to focus on the psychology of the issue, the humanity, and the effect on the world. In essence, I wanted the paper to be on how humans battle each other, just using WWI as an example. I wanted to have the arguments I made be applicable in WWII, the Vietnam War, the Iraq War, wars of the future... Here, in fear during war, was a theme that could be applied throughout history and would continue to be applied. In studying history, we attempt to take elements of the past to today and look at elements we have today then. History is a way to improve and understand our world now. We can learn from the mistakes and triumphs of others, see how the world was shaped, and follow patterns to the future. History is not about the past, but about the present and the future. It is important to recognize this in our studies to feel a purpose and understanding of why we must occupy our days with events of the past. With the perspectives given to us by past events, we can analyze and recognize current events. We can predict what will happen next and urge it on or try to prevent it. How we study history is the creation of this bridge between past and present and future. 
Soldiers of World War I (Source: flickr.com)

4 comments:

  1. I like your dialog of WW1 and WW2. It's really interesting.The war with Iraq I think was rally bad that they had to fight with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I agree with you that History is not about the past, about the present, interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our posts are very similar! I also agree that a lot of history is about analyzing the present and future. The idea is counterintuitive but very important.

    ReplyDelete